Foreign Currency

We recommend that most students carry some amount of foreign currency with them.   We also recommend some form of credit or prepaid debit card.  Students in the past have had good luck with the Travelex Cash Passport card as a credit card/cash station card.  For more information, visit   Other cash station cards may also work, but can be unreliable.  Finally,  credit cards, especially Mastercard and Visa, are widely accepted in Europe.


What doesn’t work
Do not send your child with a gift card or an American Express “debit” card in U.S. currency.  These cards will be typically declined outside the U.S.

If you did not have time to get foreign currency or a Travelex card?  Don’t panic. You can always send your student with U.S. dollars that can be exchanged at the airport overseas.  We make sure that students have the opportunity to do this.